Saturday, March 23, 2013

CASA ROMANA, A REAL GEM

Casa Romana 5 Albion Street Leicester LE1 6GD www.casaromana.co.uk Open six days for lunch and dinner 0116 2541174 RATING: FOOD: 5/5 AMBIANCE: 5/5 BEER SELECTION: 3/5 SERVICE: 4/5 TOILETS: 4/5 WEBSITE: 3/5 TOTAL: 24/30 It’s my last night in Leicester after attending the FSB’s National Conference and I go for a stroll to get some air. I take a wrong turning into a deserted side street but see a green door. Interesting? There is no sign outside but I catch a glimpse of wine bottles. Suddenly, a shirt sleeved man appears. I asked: “Is this a restaurant?” He replied: “It is.” I was intrigued so I follow him inside and I don’t regret the move. Casa Romana is a real gem. And the atmosphere inside the family-run restaurant is second-to-none. If I lived in Leicester I would be a frequent visitor it was that good. The food is superb. There were 12 starters on offer on the snowy, March night I dined there. I was tempted by the tuna and bean salad or pasta, and noodles with Italian sausage, tomatoes and cream a big draw but, as there was a chill in the air, I selected Minestrone soup and was not disappointed. Yes, it had the usual tomatoes, onions, garlic and celery but parsnip gave this dish an extra dimension. What’s more, the vegetables had real bite which added to the experience. The accompanying bread, with its crunchy crust, was perfect. Service was slick, after an initial hiccup over the order, and my main followed after much deliberation. Yes, I was tempted by medallions of fillet steak with peas in a mushroom and brandy sauce with tomatoes and a touch of cream was mouth-watering. Calves liver pan fried in lemon zest and butter was also an attraction but the grilled sea bream with a side salad and chips appealed more. Once again, it was simple but effective. The fish was drizzled with olive oil and a squirt of lemon added to the flavour. The green salad, dressed with olive oil, cider vinegar and oregano, was an ideal accompaniment to the soft-flavoured fish. And the thin-cut chips, well, they were perfect. The maddening thing is for me is that this was my last night and the chances of a re-visit are slim. However, if you live nearby then you should pay a visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment